The Good Pitch: good for society
The People to People (P2P) International Documentary Conference supported by the Britdoc Foundation are bringing the Good Pitch X, a film funding and networking forum aimed at boosting social-good documentary projects, to Johannesburg.
An initiative of the Britdoc Foundation, the Good Pitch was first held in Oxford in 2008 and continues to build international momentum. The event is inspired by a belief that film is the best medium to bring stories and issues to the widest possible audience and inspire people to act.
The Good Pitch is a re-imagined pitching forum, in which broadcasters and traditional film funders are joined by foundations, charities and non-governmental organisations. Selected documentary projects are invited to “sit at the table” with participating organisations in order to develop relationships that are good for filmmakers and grant makers, good for films – and good for society.
The inaugural P2P Good Pitch X will take place during the third People to People International Documentary Conference from 12 to 14 September 2011 in Johannesburg, South Africa. The event will match major grant makers working for social justice in the Southern African region with selected regional documentary projects that directly or indirectly promote their aims.
Calls for entry
Calls for entry to the P2P Good Pitch X 2011 are now open, with the deadline on 15 May 2011. The organisers encourage filmmakers to submit their projects if they meet the following requirements:
- They are a documentary filmmaker from the Southern African region with a great story that directly or indirectly raises important issues in the region and enhances understanding of them.
- The documentary project – of any length – is in development or early production and has a producer attached
- The film has the potential for an associated audience engagement campaign that seeks to effect behavioural change, policy change and/or promotes engagement with the issues raised in new and interesting ways.
- The film deals directly or indirectly with any of the following issues; human rights, socio-economic inequality, justice, race, gender or sexual preferences, education, freedom of expression, environmental issues and governance issues.
The following must be submitted with the entry:
- Synopsis (one page)
- Treatment (one to three pages)
- Campaign/distribution plan (1 page)
- Budget and finance Plan
- Team Biographies
- Contact details
P2P Good Pitch X 2011 is supported by the Britdoc Foundation (concept originators), the National Film and Video Foundation, Afridoc, the Commonwealth Foundation, Goethe Institut, Gauteng Film Commission, Multi Agency Grants Initiative, Ford Foundation, Mzanzi Magic, SABC, IDC Motion Pictures Division.